'Tis the Season for Holiday Drinks
Fifth Sun’s holiday party is off to a jolly start this year! Not only will there be an ugly Christmas sweater competition, but everyone is also competing to win the “Best Holiday” drink too!
There are already a few weird submissions like Hulk’s green concoction called “The Grinch” and the Minions’ weird drink that fizzes and bubbles... but otherwise there are some really yummy entries this year!
1) The Big Lebowski’s Hanukkah White Russian
Walter Sobchak and the Dude combined forces to concoct a new Hanukkah White Russian for the party. The Dude insists on drinking White Russians for every occasion, so we knew that he’d be making one for the holiday party too... Thankfully, Walter made sure to help keep things festive by yelling “jollier than you are” the entire time they made the drink!
1. Apply a thin layer of vanilla frosting around the rims of both glasses.
2. Add the peppermint bits to a shallow bowl. Dip the rims of each glass into the candy, covering the frosting entirely. Chill for 10 minutes.
3. In a cocktail shaker, add the Kahlúa, vodka and half-and-half cream. Shake, shake, shake!
4. Pour into the peppermint-rimmed serving glasses (filled with ice)
1/8 cup vanilla frosting
1/4 cup peppermint candy bits
1/2 cup Kahlúa coffee liqueur (4 oz)
1/4 cup Peppermint flavored vodka (2 oz)
1/2 cup half and half cream (4 oz)
6-8 Ice cubes
2) Mean Girls’ Yuletide “Grool” Grog
It’s grool... er wait, it’s grog! Actually it’s the Mean Girls’ Yuletide Grog! If you want to have a “cool” holiday instead of just a “regular” one, then you’ll have to try this fun grog recipe from the Mean Girls crew! If you’re lucky, you might even win more candy canes than Glen Coco with this recipe!
1. Cold Yuletide Grog: Into a cocktail shaker full of ice add in the BIN 27 Port, White Rum, Dark Rum, grapefruit juice, lime juice, demerara sugar syrup, and a dash of cinnamon. Shake vigorously until well combined, about 20 shakes. Pour over ice into a rocks glass and top off with club soda.
2. Hot Yuletide Grog: Add all your ingredients, minus the club soda, into a large mug. Top it off with 2 ounce of hot water instead of the club soda, and stir with a bar spoon until well combined.
1 ounce White Rum
1 ounce Dark Rum
3/4 ounce Grapefruit Juice
3/4 ounce Lime Juice
1/2 ounce Demerara Sugar Syrup
1.5 ounce Club Soda
Dash of Cinnamon
3) The Blues Brothers’ “Orange Whip” Christmas Style
Even the Blues Brothers are throwing their hats and sunglasses in the ring with an “Orange Whip”-inspired orange cocktail! Burton Mercer can’t get enough of it and he keeps asking: “Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips.” He may need to take a nap after all the holiday spirit (or spirits...).
1. Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously until chilled and well combined.
2. Put a scoop of ice in a highball or cooler glass. Pour cocktail over ice.
3. Zest an orange to make a twist. Rub around rim of glass, twist and place in glass to garnish.
1/2 oz. Cointreau or orange liqueur
1 1/2 oz. Grappa
1/4 oz. Creme de Cassis or blackcurrant liqueur
1/2 oz. fresh-squeezed juice from 1/2 lemon
Splash of simple syrup
Orange zest for garnish
4) Coco’s Famous Mexican Hot Cocoa
Abuelita might be famous for her tamales in Pixar’s Coco, but it’s Mama Coco’s secret hot chocolate recipe that will make the family famous at this year’s holiday party! Miguel hasn’t been able to stop writing songs about this hot chocolate and we think it’s a sure winner for best drink!
1. Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Split the vanilla bean and add to the boiling water.
2. Add sugar, cinnamon, espresso, and a pinch of salt.
3. Simmer for 1 minute and add the bittersweet chocolate.
4. Whisk until it gets thick. Add milk and simmer 1 minute.
5. Serve immediately with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of chili powder on top.
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 heaping tablespoon instant espresso
2 1/2 ounces grated bittersweet chocolate
2 cups whole milk
Top with Vanilla ice cream & Chili powder
5) Cuphead’s Secret Eggnog
We’ve always wondered what Cuphead and Mugman were hiding in those great big heads of theirs...and now thanks to the holiday party, we found out! It’s egg nog! Who knew? They’ve been able to fight off the Bosses because theyve been spurred on by holiday spirit!
1. Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
2. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
4. Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
4 cups milk
5 whole cloves
2 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups light rum
4 cups light cream
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Whoever you end up voting for this year’s best holiday drink we hope that you find the perfect Fifth Sun Christmas outfit for the season! Make your spirits bright this year with cozy drinks, delicious food, and festive holiday tees!